1. What is your role at CAN?
Social Business Analyst
2. What does your role entail?
I’m involved in delivering the CAN Invest range of products and services, these are:
- CAN Impact – this is where we work with organisations to help them measure the social impact their organisation is creating from Social Return on Investment (SROI), Theory of Change (ToF) and more.
- Business Advisory – this is where we work with organisations to help them with a range of advisory services including business planning and financial modeling.
- Fund Management – for this service we manage the distribution of funds such as the Early Intervention Fund that we run in partnership with UBS
Outside of that I work with the rest of the team on the development of new products, website developments among other things.
3. How long have you been a part of the CAN Team?
I started with CAN in July 2014 so I’ve been part of the team nearly 10 months now.
4. What’s great about working for CAN?
There are quite a few things…it’s a really entrepreneurial environment. There’s lots of space and opportunity to grow as a person and I’ve found since starting with CAN my confidence and skills have developed massively it’s a great environment to foster this. All the people here are great too – it’s a relatively small team so you get the chance to - and are - encouraged to work with everyone, meaning you get the chance to get involved in all areas of the organisation. I also get to work with lots of clients and they continually inspire me with what they are looking to achieve.
5. In your role as Social Business Analyst what would be your top tip to others?
I read recently about how with the finite resources available in today’s economy (e.g. food, energy & money) we all need to remember that a resource that is not limited is ideas.
So my top tip is make time to allow yourself to have ideas because the opportunities they could bring is endless!
6. Which 5 famous people would you invite to a dinner party and why?
- Mahatma Gandhi – with one of the current and very real society challenges being uniting people behind common ideas, I think it would be interesting to have his input on peaceful means of how to do that.
- John Lennon – his music is great, I love the Beatles and think he’s got some great philosophies along with a good sense of humour.
- Tina Faye – she’s amazingly funny, silly and clever as an actress and producer and I’d love to find out more about her interesting background.
- Wes Anderson – I love the films he has directed and think they are things of such beauty whilst being funny and fascinating and I’d love to find out more about him.
- Eric Idle – because I think his song ‘Always look on the bright side of life’ is a great philosophy!